Saturday, August 4, 2007

Thai Time


“If you knew what I know about the power of giving, you would not let a single meal pass without sharing it in some way.”
~ Buddha (563 BC - 483 BC)

I had two lady friends who recently came back from original stomping ground for Buddha. What they brought back for me was not a typical tchotchke - no a snow-globe of Thailand or an Angkor Wat diorama. Packed in their suitcase was a little baggie of green curry paste and recipes. They brought me back a meal.

They showed up at my doorstep with bags of groceries and started in. Green papaya salad with pummeled raw green beans and chunky peanuts. Rich and decedent curry with tight green eggplant and kaffir lime leaves. Sticky rice with sweet and salty coconut milk and mango. Pure delight.

This was by far one of the best gifts I have ever received. Consider this next time you travel to a far off place… or even your grandmother’s house.

No comments: