Monday, July 20, 2009

July Americana: Red, White & Blueberry


It’s blueberry season again, and I can plow through a pint like a tub of buttered popcorn… easy. Here’s a way to sneak them into yet another meal, dinner. This recipe works great with frozen blueberries, so this is also a nice nugget to tuck away for mid-winter meals when y’all could use a little antioxidant punch.

Pork Tenderloin with Blueberry Dijon Glaze
Serves 4

1½ lb. pork tenderloin
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons grape seed or vegetable oil
2 cups frozen blueberries
½ cup water
4 tablespoons golden brown sugar
4 tablespoons good quality Dijon mustard (preferably with mustard seeds)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. To ensure even cooking, tuck in any thin ends of the pork tenderloin. Secure with toothpicks or cooking twine as necessary. Sprinkle pork loin with salt and pepper. In an oven-proof pan, heat oil on high. Add pork tenderloin and brown on all sides, about 2 minutes per side.

Place pork in the oven in the pan used for browning. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, add frozen blueberries, water and sugar. Mix well, crushing blueberries with a masher until texture slightly resembles chunky jam. Cook on medium heat until heated through and slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Pull off of heat and add mustard and rosemary.

After the pork has been in the oven for about 15 minutes, flip the loin and add the blueberry glaze. Put back in the oven. If at any point the glaze looks like it is starting to burn or get very thick (resembling taffy) add a couple of tablespoons of water to the bottom of the pan and continue cooking. Cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 160 degrees.

Remove the meat from the oven and let rest for 5 - 10 minutes (meat will continue to cook outside the oven until it reaches the internal temperature of 165 degrees). Slice and spoon glaze generously over pork medallions.

Serve with wild rice or couscous. Excellent with a side of sweet and sour red cabbage.

4 comments:

matt said...

Oh where to begin. Adrianna and I went to see Julie and Julie last night. Easy the best movie of the year and one of my favorite all time movies. It made me think of you alot Tray. I little Ney in there too with the short guy that is greater then a giant in his doings. What an amazing powerful women just like you. I loved it, every minute. To think I am the butter chef and never knew who she was. Hope all is well, PS I would love to meet your friend who lives in my hood someday. Take care, Matt Hogan.

matt said...

Oh where to begin. Adrianna and I went to see Julie and Julie last night. Easy the best movie of the year and one of my favorite all time movies. It made me think of you alot Tray. I little Ney in there too with the short guy that is greater then a giant in his doings. What an amazing powerful women just like you. I loved it, every minute. To think I am the butter chef and never knew who she was. Hope all is well, PS I would love to meet your friend who lives in my hood someday. Take care, Matt Hogan.

matt said...

Oh no I did not intend on writing 2 comments. Oh well they are one in the same. Tah tah.

Fresno Foodie said...

Oh! Matt... you are better than a slice of peach pie. Thanks for your genuine love of the ladies, and the food, and all things good in this world. Hope to see you soon.. :)